Job Duties and Tasks for Biology Teacher
1) Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
2) Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate and/or graduate students on topics such as pharmacology, mental health nursing, and community health care practices.
3) Keep abreast of developments in their field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
4) Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
5) Supervise students' laboratory and clinical work.
6) Evaluate and grade students' class work, laboratory and clinic work, assignments, and papers.
7) Collaborate with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
8) Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction.
9) Assess clinical education needs, and patient and client teaching needs, utilizing a variety of methods.
10) Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
11) Advise students on academic and vocational curriculum, and on career issues.
12) Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
13) Maintain regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
14) Supervise undergraduate and/or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
15) Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge, and publish findings in professional journals, books, and/or electronic media.
16) Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
17) Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
18) Coordinate training programs with area universities, clinics, hospitals, health agencies, and/or vocational schools.
19) Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
20) Select and obtain materials and supplies such as textbooks and laboratory equipment.
21) Participate in campus and community events.
22) Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
23) Act as advisers to student organizations.
24) Demonstrate patient care in clinical units of hospitals.