Tools of Effective teaching
- Encouragement: This is the prime and most influential tool in teaching. To make pupils learn anything, they must be encouraged in the right way. They should have the sense of motivation that the thing they are going to learn is not that tough. After learning once, they would have better command on it and that feeling will only come after getting right motivation from their teacher.
- Celebrate effort: Journey is very much important than the end result. During a learning process of anything, there will be plenty of ups and down. Many challenges where a learner will look for the help. It’s the sole responsibility of a teacher that, s/he encouraged the students for his or her process and also boost the confidence so s/he take a positive stand for the new challenges and prepare himself or herself and also all the chunks of efforts made by the students should be recognized and appreciated by the teacher in an appropriate way.
- Real life situations: Connecting the topic with some real life context can be way more effective in comparison with just explaining the topic and how to use the respective formula if you are teaching math. These days most of the books in maths, especially start their lesson with one appropriate and insightful real life example, so the learners can enjoy learning and able to connect the lesson with their surrounding and feel encouraged by thinking they are grasping something meaningful.
- AFL’s (Assessment of learning/Assessment for learning): Both types of assessment required for a clear and mindful teaching.
- Assessment for learning: Questions which allow students to feel, what he has already known about the lesson and how those previous topics link with the new lesson.
i.e . If you have started teaching “Add and Subtract fraction”, you could ask questions like
- What do you mean by a fraction?
- How to calculate L.C.M. of two or more numbers?
- What do you mean by numerator / Denominator?
- Assessment of learning: There is a very fine line in between these two types of assessment. Assessment of learning comes while teaching the lesson and to make sure student is able to perform with the currently discussed lesson.
i.e. You have finished teaching “Adding two fractions”. You can give one simple question based on the lesson and as he finished, you can ask by using “How did you solve the question?”
Such questions help the students to register the concepts for a long time and also give the sense of confidence, once they explain their own working out or calculations.
The aforementioned tools are quite effective and undoubtedly yield a better result in respect of student efficiency.